Wednesday, July 8, 2009

La Roux


I've been a bit critical when it comes to La Roux. It's not that I dislike their music, but I can't help but feeling that I've heard this type of music before, and I've heard it done better. Even the image seems like a Visage knock-off to me.  With La Roux, it's definitely the '80s all over again, but is the translation a bit too literal?  I'm still not sure. 


With that said, there are a number of things I do like about La Roux. For starters, even though their image is recycled, it's refreshing to see a female-fronted pop duo that hasn't succumbed to sexually exploiting themselves simply to sell records. Instead, front woman Elly Jackson has shown the pop world (and younger women) that non-conformity is ultimately more sexy and appealing than the standard. I also like La Roux because they are bringing electronic music to a new generation – that's good. It's been far too long since we've had a young pop star popularize electronic music, and I am happy La Roux are doing it.

If you live in the Seattle area, La Roux will be playing at Chop Suey on 28 July and I plan on attending. Hopefully seeing the show will give me more insight into this duo and I will learn more about what La Roux is all about.

Click here to see La Roux's video for their #1 UK hit, Bulletproof - it's like my Trapper Keeper from high school exploded all over the set for this video.  Seriously. 

No comments: